It is impossible to do all the things that Henderson, Kentucky has to offer in just one day! We crafted an itinerary of things to do from sun-up to sun-down just for you!
Rise and Shine!
- The best way to start your day in Henderson is at a local bed and breakfast. Henderson has bed and breakfasts that provide a perfect hometown experience and comfy accommodations. If you are looking to stay in historic downtown, check out L&N Bed and Breakfast and Victorian Quarters Bed and Breakfast. Both are large, historic homes located a couple of blocks from the heart of downtown.
- Get an authentic taste of country life by staying at one of our bed and breakfasts located in the country, The Farm or Farmer & Frenchman. The Farm is a century old family farm that was originally a two-room log cabin. The Farm has preserved an original exposed cabin wall that creates a cozy dining room setting. Farmer & Frenchman Winery’s efficiency cabins are 100% solar powered and 100% rustic luxury, and are located within walking distance from Farmer & Frenchman’s cafe and restaurant.
Wakey-Wakey, Biscuits & Gravy!
- If there is one thing that Henderson does better than anyone in the area, it’s biscuits & gravy! This southern staple is one of the most-loved dishes in Henderson. It is best-served at the country stores, where mom-and-pop cooking is the specialty, and where the servers are super friendly. Check out our latest blog about these biscuits and gravy hot-spots: Bryant’s Country Store, North-South Truck Stop, Geneva Store, Eastgate Family Restaurant, and Bangie’s Cafe.
Walk on Water!
- Have you ever been on a boardwalk surrounded by water, trees and wildlife? In Henderson, you can! The Audubon Wetlands Boardwalk allows you to reconnect with nature and explore an environment that feels like it’s from another world. The boardwalk is just a stone’s throw away from John James Audubon State Park grounds. At Audubon State Park, you can paddleboat or kayak on the lake, hike through the woods, or tour the world’s largest collection of art and artifacts by legendary naturalist John James Audubon.
Taste Southern Traditions
- Henderson is home to a famous fried chicken recipe at Brown Bag Burgers and thousands of hours of smoked barbecue from J&B Barbecue. Thomason’s Barbecue is known for the best baked beans and local grocery stores are known for the best fried chicken. Generations of family recipes are sprinkled throughout Henderson’s local restaurant scene. Comfort food is Henderson’s specialty!
Raise a Glass!
- At the end of a day of adventure, raise a glass! Henderson Brewing Company or historic Metzger’s Tavern are the perfect spots to sample local and domestic brews and cocktails. Henderson Brewing Company’s beers are named after taverns that existed in Henderson long ago, adding a unique charm to all of their brews. Metzger’s Tavern, founded in 1869, is one of the oldest taverns in the state with a rich history of “cold beers, great food, and even better friends.” Or you can raise a glass of wine at one of Henderson’s two wineries!