Spring has finally arrived, and in Henderson that means more activities on the horizon. Weather you’re interested in outdoor recreation, wine or historic homes, there’s an event in Henderson that’s worth a trip. Here are ten upcoming events you can’t miss.
1. Wine lovers delight! It’s almost time for the annual Scavenger Hunt at Ruby Moon Winery. Come on your own or bring a team (2 person teams) and scour the vineyard grounds for a variety of items created both by Mother Nature and strategically placed in the vineyard by the owners. Prizes for the winning team. $5 entry fee per person. All proceeds from entry fees will be donated to Pay It Forward, a local no-kill animal rescue.
April 19, 2014, Ruby Moon Vineyard, Henderson, KY
2. Meet live birds of prey at Audubon State Park and learn about their role in the ecosystem. The Ohio Valley Birding Festival gives visitors a chance to learn about birds with a Bird Banding Workshop, Bird Migration Walk, Wetland Birding and Owl Pellet Dissection.
April 25-27, 2014, Audubon State Park, Henderson, KY
3. Sample Red Velvet Funnel Cake, Bloomin’ Onions, Deep Fried Veggies, Philly Cheese Steak and other festival favorites at the Breakfast Lions Club Tri-Fest in downtown Henderson. And it’s not just food! Other events at Tri-Fest include a 5K run, magic show, live musical performances and fireworks. See the full schedule of events here.
April 25-27, 2014, Main Street, Henderson, KY
4. Chefs set up in beautiful homes for the annual OVAL Kitchen Tour. This event features an art auction by local artists, kitchen tours and wine from local Boucherie Winery. Buy you tickets at Third Street House in Henderson or Maxine’s Cafe in Evansville. Tickets are $20.
April 26, 2014, Various Homes (locations in map with ticket purchase), Henderson, KY
5. The Cabela’s Catfishing Tournament returns to the Henderson riverfront, with a free Kids’ Fishing Tournament to take place in the morning. You don’t want to miss the late afternoon weigh-in, where the fish caught throughout the day are measured at the Henderson riverfront.
May 10, 2014, Henderson, KY riverfront
6. Kids will love the activities, animals, crafts and storytelling at the annual River Heritage Day event in Audubon Mill Park. In the evening, a catfish fry at On Deck benefits Riverbend School (and the stomachs of ticket holders!)
May 10, 2014, Audubon Mill Park, Henderson, KY
7. Runners are delighted for the return of the River Run. This is the only event that allows runners to cross from Henderson, KY to Evansville, IN on the bridge. The 10 mile course finishes with a post race party and health and fitness expo. Find all the details here.
May 17, 2014, Starts in Henderson, KY
8. Are you a fan of collectable cars? Come to downtown Henderson on Main Street for the 28th Annual Downtown Car Show. This free events features cars, judging, specialty awards, door prizes, games, half-pot. Events starts at 8am and continues until 4pm.
May 18, 2014, Main Street, Henderson, KY
9. Art fans don’t want to miss the DHP Artisan Market at the Henderson river font. Featuring handmade items by local and regional artisans. This modern handmade market will feature handmade items, refurbished and upcycled furniture and home goods, jewelry, accessories, artwork, food and vintage clothes and items. Stroll through the street and meet artists and local makers and shop for your favorite items.
May 31, 2014, Audubon Mill Park, Henderson, KY
10. Blues music takes over downtown Henderson for a week during the W.C. Handy Blues & Barbecue Festival. Celebrate the life and music of former resident, W.C. Handy at this free music festival, which showcases some of the nation’s best blues artists. Enjoy live music in the park and delicious barbecue and other festival food throughout the event. Named a Top 20 Event in the Southeast by STC and a Top 10 Summer Event in Kentucky by KTIA. To view the full line-up, check out this blog post.
June 7-14, 2014, Audubon Mill Park and Central Park, Henderson, KY